Your bathroom plumbing might be out of sight, but it certainly shouldn’t be out of mind. Effective and efficient maintenance of your bathroom fixtures and fittings can be much simpler than you might expect, transforming into a routine habit that keeps your overall home running smoothly.
To give you the ultimate guide, we’ve assembled 10 DIY tips for maintaining your bathroom plumbing in a squeaky-clean condition. So, without further ado, let’s line up those “ducks in a row,” ensuring your bathroom plumbing remains the epitome of perfect functioning and cleanliness.
- Regularly Check For Leaks: Nomatter how small, leaks can cause serious damage over time. Thus, the first and foremost DIY bathroom plumbing tip is to regularly inspect your fixtures and fittings for any signs of dripping water to save a fortune in repair costs and water bills.
- Be Careful What You Flush: Your toilet isn’t a trash bin; therefore, avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper to prevent clogs. Even “flushable” wipes can build up and cause blockages.
- Clean Showerheads and Faucets:Build-up on your bathroom showerheads and faucets can impact water pressure and quality. Nevertheless, cleaning them once every month with a vinegar-based cleaning solution will ensure they remain squeaky clean and functional for days to come.
- Regular Drain Cleaning: Hair and soap scum can cause a slow-draining tub or even a complete blockage. Use a hair catcher over the drain and clean it out regularly to prevent these issues.
- Watch Your Water Pressure:High water pressure can damage your plumbing system. If you notice unusually strong water pressure, consider calling a professional to check your system.
- Maintain Your Water Heater:Drain and clean your water heater regularly to improve its efficiency and lifespan. Additionally, it’s also wise to inspect for any signs of corrosion or leaks.
- Insulate Your Pipes: A frozen pipe can burst and cause significant damage. Thus, insulating your plumbing pipes, particularly those exposed to cold weather, is crucial to prevent freezing.
- Know Your Home’s Plumbing Layout:Before implementing any bathroom plumbing DIY project, know the location of pipes and sewer lines to avoid accidentally damaging them.
Keep a Plunger Handy: A good plunger, a suction device consisting of a cup-shaped rubber, can be a lifesaver for minor toilet clogs. Remember, the right plunging technique is crucial for success.
Know When to Call a Professional for Expert Assistance: While these DIY plumbing maintenance tips are helpful for minor issues, know when to call a professional. If you notice persistent leaks, smell gas, or your DIY fixes aren’t solving the problem, it’s time to call Rub-A-Dub Plumbing.
Maintaining your bathroom plumbing doesn’t have to be intimidating. Following these 10 DIY tips, you can keep your bathroom pristine, save money, and ensure peace of mind. But when the situation is out of your hands, Rub-A-Dub Plumbing is here to help.
Offering professional services such as plumbing, septic, water heaters, and gas leak repair, we pride ourselves on providing professional, quality service with integrity. So when you need help with maintenance or repairs, feel free to contact us – after all, we always have our “ducks in a row.”